If you're thinking of moving from Sky TV, you aren't alone! Sky's introductory rate in 2022 is £26 per month for their basic package and prices are set to rise according to reports! So it's no wonder many people are looking for cheaper alternatives, and we have the perfect solution.
You may believe that by eliminating Sky, Virgin Media, and other pay-TV services, you'll miss out on certain shows. You can actually get most of them elsewhere - and for less money - but there are a few exceptions.
This post will discuss 25 different Sky alternatives that offer great value for your money. We will also help you decide which option is best for you. So read on to learn the best Sky TV alternative.
Alternatives to Sky TV: Streaming Services
If you already have a smart TV, then streaming services could be the perfect alternative for you, with reports that Sky is rising prices again in 2022 streaming services are much cheaper alternatives to Sky.
Below are the UK's top streaming services, costs and what's included. Please note with the options below an internet connection is required.
Not sure if you want to leave Sky? Check out Sky Deals for Existing Customers
1. NOW TV - Best Sky TV Alternatives
Cost: From £9.99 a month for basic entertain (£16 a month saving!)
Exclusive Content: Sky channels
NOW TV is Sky's answer to streaming services and is owned by them. It is a cheaper alternative to sky due to lower monthly subscriptions that you can cancel anytime.
The major downside and reason it is cheaper than Sky are that it does not stream in 4k. The highest you can expect is 1080p, which is fine for most houses, so don't ditch your sky subscription if you want 4k.
With a wide range of exclusive Sky content and the ability to add on other channels like MTV and Comedy Central, it's a great option for those looking for an alternative to Sky TV. With Now TV, you have four options to choose from, and you can cancel anytime:
- Watch Sky channels through the app.
- Watch your favourite Sky TV series and box sets.
- Entertainment package including Sky Atlantic.
- Cinema package available which is basically sky cinema.
- Hulu add on available.
- Sky Sports channels (additional add on needed)
Tip: The NOW TV streaming stick can be a great option if you plan to go for Sky Cinema as you get a month included in the price of the stick worth £24.99! Making the stick half price. see below.
2 .IPlayer, All 4, ITV Hub and My5
Cost: Free, apart from BBC, which requires a TV license.
Potential Saving: Cost of your current Sky TV Package (£26 a month minimum)
If you use Sky tv to record channels one- five, these apps are free and will take away the need to plan recordings! watch tv digital tv
What's included: BBC, ITV, Channel Four and Five. If you have a smart TV, these will already be preloaded. If not, download to any smartphone, tablet or streaming boxes that we have listed towards the end of this article.
Please note even if you choose to stream only with BBC Iplayer today you still require a TV Licence.
3. Amazon Prime
Cost: £79 a year, £7.99 a month.
Exclusive Content: Clarksons Farm, Select Premier league sports.
Free Trial? Yes 30 days, available here.
Amazon Prime has the added benefit that you get access to some of the top on-demand content and next day delivery on Amazon orders and Prime Now, which is one hour delivery on groceries!
You also get a whole host of other benefits like Audible and Twitch. Amazon Prime has hands down got to be one of the best value services out there, especially if you compare the above benefits with the cost of your TV license! Wondering what's available to watch? Check out the below video.
Related Article: Is Amazon Prime Worth it?
Cost: from £5.99 month, although for comparable to Sky HD quality you will need the £9.99 and above package.
Exclusive Content: Stranger Things, Orange Is the New Black, The Crown.
Free Trial?: No, see details
Saving: If you went for the standard Netflix package you would save a minimum of £16 a month.
Equipment needed: A smart TV with Netflix or see recommended Streaming devices.
Netflix has been one of the most popular streaming services for years now, and it's not hard to see why. With a huge range of exclusive content and a low monthly price, it's no wonder people are ditching their Sky TV subscriptions in favour of Netflix. film channels
Cost: £69.99 a year, £6.99 a month
Additional Channels: MTV, Comedy Central free tv
TVPlayer is a great alternative to Sky TV if you're looking for a cheaper option. With over 40 TV channels available, including exclusive content, it's a great way to watch your favourite shows and have a TV guide built into your smart device. tv providers monthly subscription. If you are looking for a good way to watch normal TV it's a good option however if you want choice Netflix, Amazon and Disney are far better options.
Number of Channels: 30+
Freeview is an excellent free alternative to Sky TV. With over 30 channels available, including BBC One, BBC Two and ITV, it's a great way to watch your favourite shows without spending a fortune. Plus, if you have a smart TV, you can download the Freeview app and watch all your favourite channels without having to miss a single episode.
Cost: £7.99 a month.
Exclusive Content: Star Wars, Frozen, The Lion King, Marvel content, US boxsets
Picture Quality: 4K
Disney+ is the latest streaming service to hit the UK, and it's already proving popular. You don't have to be a Disney fan to appreciate this streaming service. They have recently added lots of content that isn't Disney with popular boxsets like Grey's Anatomy and Scandal.
With a huge range of exclusive content from Disney, Pixar, Marvel and Lucasfilm, as well as live TV and documentaries, there's something for everyone. And at £7.99 a month, it's great value for money and streamed in 4K.
Cost: £59.99 a year.
Exclusive Content: British boxsets, BBC and ITV content.
Picture Quality: HD
Britbox is the latest streaming service to hit the UK, and it's exclusive to Brits! The service streams British boxsets, as well as BBC and ITV content, so you can be sure to find all your favourite shows in one place. I wouldn't say Britbox is essential. It really depends if you like some of the older stuff found on BBC and ITV. Of course, it is another option if you love to binge-watch boxsets.
9. Apple TV+
Cost: £5 a month
Exclusive Content: The Morning Show, Dickinson.
Picture Quality: 4k
Apple TV+ is a streaming service from Apple. Although it doesn't have as much content as some of the other services, it does have a few exclusives like The Morning Show and Dickinson.
Get Apple TV Plus for Free
If you have purchased an iPhone or Ipad recently, you might find you have Apple TV+ for free. Apple has run many promotions where you get free apple tv for a year. Students also benefit from free apple tv with the student music plan.
Cost: £4.99 a month
Number of Shows: 300+
Hayu is an excellent option for those who love reality TV. With over 600 channels available, including Keeping Up With the Kardashians and The Real Housewives, you'll never be stuck for something to watch again. I wouldn't say this was a standalone Sky replacement, but does offer some shows you might like to watch and add to another steaming service like Now TV.
Sky TV Alternatives: Boxes and Streaming Sticks
Wondering what will replace your Sky box? Check out the below devices which can connect to your TV to stream live TV and more!
Before purchasing extra equipment, it's important to check your existing equipment. You might have everything you need. Many Smart TVs come with built-in apps for Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, YouTube and Now TV. So if you're not looking to add any extra devices to your household, then a Smart TV could be the best option for you.
12. Apple TV
If you already own an Apple device, Apple TV is the perfect complementary device. It gives you the ability to watch all your iPhone content on the big screen and access a range of other streaming services.
Apple has also recently updated the software so the major streaming services like Disney + Amazon Prime link into the TV hub, meaning you have all of your favourite shows in one place without switching between apps.
It's 4K and has Dolby Atmos support, so if picture quality and surround sound are important, then this is the streaming device for you.
- 1080p HD high-quality video
- Dolby Digital Plus 7.1 surround sound
- A8 chip for great gameplay and app experiences
- Apple Original shows and movies from Apple TV+
- The latest hits from Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, HBO Max, and more
Roku has a huge range of content available and gives you the ability to watch Freeview channels and access other streaming services.
One of the great things about Roku is that it's a neutral platform, so it doesn't favour one particular service over another. This means you can mix and match services to create the perfect streaming package for you. The device is incredibly cheap to pick up and is one of the lower cost options.
- Licencing limitations mean that most content and apps will work only in the UK
- Setup is easy with the included HDMI cable, simple remote and intuitive home screen
- Enjoy live TV, news, sports, movies and TV episodes on thousands of free and paid channels like Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, ITV Hub, All4, My5, Apple TV+, BT Sport, Prime Video, NOW and many more
- Stream big. Stream free. Enjoy The Roku Channel with tons of movies and Roku Originals, fresh original series exclusively available on Roku devices
- Easily search across top channels to see where you can stream shows for free or at the lowest cost
- Use features such as voice search, private listening, music and photos on your TV and an additional remote control with the free Roku mobile app (iOS and Android)
14. Amazon Fire Stick
If you're an Amazon Prime member, then the Amazon Fire Stick is a great option as it comes with all of the benefits of Prime membership, including access to a huge range of movies and TV shows. The Fire Stick is also upgradeable, so you can add more storage if you need to.
- Our most powerful streaming stick: 40% more powerful than Fire TV Stick 4K, with faster app starts and more fluid navigation.
- Support for next-generation Wi-Fi 6: enjoy smoother 4K streaming across multiple Wi-Fi 6 devices.
- Cinematic experience: watch in vibrant 4K Ultra HD with support for Dolby Vision, HDR, HDR10+ and immersive Dolby Atmos audio.
- Endless entertainment: stream hundreds of thousands of films and TV episodes from BBC iPlayer, Netflix, Prime Video, Now, Disney+ and more, plus listen to millions of songs. Subscription fees may apply.
- Live and free TV: watch live TV, news and sport with subscriptions to BT Sport, Sky News, Eurosport, and more. Stream for free with ITVX, Channel 4, PlutoTV, YouTube, Freevee and more.
- Alexa Voice Remote: search and launch content with your voice. Get to favourite apps quickly with preset buttons. Control power and volume with one remote.
- Do more with your compatible smart home: view the front door camera without stopping your programme using Live View Picture-in-Picture. Ask Alexa to check the weather or dim the lights.
15. Nvidia Shield TV
The Nvidia Shield TV is a great option for those who are also avid gamers as it allows you not only to stream your favourite shows but your favourite games.
It's one of the most powerful streaming devices on the market and comes with a range of features, including the ability to play games, watch live TV, and record shows, all in 4K.
It also has Chromecast built-in, so you can easily cast content from your phone or tablet.
With Nvidia Shield, you also have access to the Google Play Store, so you can download any app or game you want.
- Fast, Really Fast: The latest advanced NVIDIA Tegra X1+ processor makes SHIELD up to 25% faster than the previous generation.
- Dolby Vision·Atmos: The fusion of Dolby Vision HDR picture and Dolby Atmos sound transforms your TV into an entertainment powerhouse.
- AI Upscaling: Upscale HD video to 4K using the power of AI. Crisper, clearer video enhanced to 4K resolution in real-time.
- 4K HDR: The most 4K HDR entertainment. All your favourite shows in the highest possible quality. Period.
- Note: SHIELD Stand sold separately
- HDR support is depending on TV screen and the used app supporting HDR native resolution.
16. Now TV Box
If you are looking for the closest equivalent to Sky TV, the NOW TV box or streaming stick could be a good option.
Whilst you do not get the casting ability that comes with other options, you do get the ability to add bolt-on packages like Sky Sports or Movies. The remote also supports voice search.
You might also be thinking, do I get access to Netflix and BBC Iplayer, and the answer is yes! These apps are preinstalled ready to go.
What makes this option great value for money is that you also get one month's Sky Cinema included worth £24.99
Google's Chromecast is an excellent alternative to more expensive streaming devices. It's simple to set up and use and very affordable. Like Apple, Google has also built in their own TV apps that give you personal recommendations and put all of the top apps like Disney + Netflix in one place.
It has 4K support and HDR and is a great option if you are looking for an affordable way to get all of your streaming content in one place.
18. Android TV Box
If you have an Android phone, then an Android TV box could be the perfect solution for you as it allows you to mirror your phone screen onto the TV.
This means that not only can you watch your favourite streaming services, but you can also use your TV as a big screen for all of your games and apps.
The Android TV box market is huge, with a range of different devices to choose from, so it's important to do your research before buying one.
- ★【The Latest Android 9.0 OS】Q PLUS Android TV box comes with Android 9.0 operation system, the latest H6 Quad-Core Cortex-A53 CPU with Mali-T720MP2 GPU, which make sure the box running stable and smooth to load movies, pictures and games without a buffer. Android 9.0 raises the bar in performance and usability with a slick lag-free interface, more stable.
- ★【4GB RAM + 32GB ROM】The highest storage in the market at present, 4G RAM large storage ensures speed and stability of the operation system, supports much higher running speed, without buffering or breaking down; 32GB ROM, gives enough room for installing apps, games etc. You can also expand the memory via the micro SD card slot. No need to worry about running out of space.
- ★【2.4G WIFI & Ethernet】Comes with built-in 2.4G Wi-Fi and supports 10/100M Ethernet LAN. We offer convenient connection and more stable WIFI signal to enjoy higher quality video experience. Just plug in the power supply, connect the box HDMI cable and Wi-Fi/Ethernet, you can enjoy whatever you like.
- ★【6K + 3D 】Q PLUS Android TV box supports decoding and playing almost all popular audio and video formats, you can enjoy 6K ultimate HD video, which is clearer than 4K. You can play thousands of android games in a large 6K screen and enjoy a higher quality experience with less buffering. What’s more, this TV box support 3D, you can enjoy the visual feast.
- ★【Warranty & Service】We try our best to make 100% satisfaction of our customers: 1-year warranty and lifetime technical support. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any question or concern, we will fix your issue within 24 hours.
If you are looking for an alternative to traditional cable or satellite TV, then a VPN could be a good option for you. A VPN allows you to stream content worldwide by connecting you to a server in another country. This means that you can watch shows and movies not available in your country.
A VPN is also a great way to stay secure when streaming content as it encrypts your traffic, meaning that your data is safe.
There are many VPN providers to choose from, so it's important to do your research before signing up.
20. Freeview Play
Freeview Play is a great option for looking for a low-cost alternative to traditional cable or satellite TV. It gives you access to various channels, including all of the UK's terrestrial channels.
It also comes with a built-in catch-up service so you can watch any missed shows, and it has a range of apps preinstalled so you can get started straight away.
Freesat is a great option to connect to your existing sky satellite dish. It offers a range of channels, including all of the free-to-air terrestrial channels and a wide range of other channels.
Many of the boxes come with built-in apps for a catch-up. Of course, the ability to record shows just as you would with a Sky TV box. It's perfect for those who think they will miss the recording ability of a Skybox.
- Never miss a thing: Record up to four programmes at the same time when connected to a wideband LNB satellite dish, and with 500GB of storage you can keep up to approximately 250 hours of SD entertainment. You can even restart live TV where available, so missing the start of a programme doesn’t mean missing out.
- 170+ channels with no monthly fees: Entertainment at your fingertips with lots of amazing channels, over 20 in crystal-clear HD.
- On Demand: Watch content, including 4K where available, from some of the most popular free and paid On Demand players including BBC iPlayer, ITVX, Netflix, Britbox & Amazon Prime Video.
- Relive the best moments: Pause and rewind live TV so you can relive the plot twist, the important goal or just take time to make a cup of tea.
- Simple to set-up: Works with your existing UK satellite dish so there is no need to replace your current one if this is in working order. Simply plug your cables into the back of the box and you’re all set.
TalkTalk TV is a great alternative to Sky TV as it offers a wide range of channels and it's very affordable. You can get the basic package that includes over 70 channels or add on extras like sports or movies.
The box allows you to pause and rewind live TV, so you never have to miss a show, and there is also a range of apps available to download.
23. BT Sport
If you are looking for an affordable way to watch all the live sports, BT Sport could be the perfect solution. It offers access to Premier League football, Ashes cricket, and Bundesliga football.
If you have your broadband with BT, you can get a discount on the monthly price. It's also worth checking out if you are a EE pay monthly customer as they offer a free mobile app version discount.
24. BT TV
If you already have BT Broadband, BT TV offers excellent value for money compared to Sky TV. You can manage subscriptions all in one place, so you can add and remove channels as you please.
The box also comes with a free YouView+ box which gives you access to over 70 Freeview channels, 15 HD channels and the ability to pause and rewind live TV.
What is great is that the base package of £16 a month gives you Netflix and NowTV access, so you get the sky channels anyway!
25. Virgin Media
Virgin Media is a great option if you are looking for a wide range of channels. It offers over 250 channels, including all Sky Sports, Movies, and entertainment channels.
You also have the bonus of being able to record up to six shows at once, so you never have to miss your favourite programme again.
With Virgin media, although a comparable alternative to sky tv, you are unlikely to save money if that is your main goal.
Summary: What is the Best Alternative to Sky?
The important point to remember is that there is no one 'best' alternative to Sky TV. It all depends on your needs and what channels you are looking for.
This article has shown clearly that there are many alternatives to Sky TV and that it is important to do your research before making a decision. So, what are you waiting for? Get started today!
To summerise some good options are:
- If you want as close to Sky as possible, check out a really cheap alternative provided by SKY, which is the NOW TV streaming stick. The best part is it's low cost and comes with a free month of SKY Cinema.
- If you are an avid Apple user, then an Apple TV plus a few subscriptions of your choice would be a longer-term cheaper solution to Sky.
- BT broadband users, I would recommend checking out BT TV.
- Google users, the Roku streaming stick plus is a great solution.
- If you are looking for a low-cost alternative to traditional cable or satellite TV, then Freeview Play is the best option as it gives you access to a range of channels, including all of the UK's terrestrial channels.
Which option will you go for? Let me know in the comments below!
Thanks for reading! I hope this has helped you decide on the best alternative to Sky TV for you.
Please share this article if you found it useful!